Sunday, January 13, 2013

Princess and the Popstar Outfit

My four year old niece LOVES the movie "Princess and the Popstar".  She has watched it more times than we can count and has the entire movie memorized.  Popstar, Kiera, is her favorite character.  While watching the movie, she loves to sing along to all of the songs.

She has a wonderful imagination and loves to play dress up.  She uses one of her ballerina outfits with a superhero cape around her waist as her "Kiera" outfit (the black hair is a wig.)


One day, she asked my sister if she could get a real Kiera outfit.  My sister did not like anything that she found online, so she came to me and asked if I could make something as her Christmas gift. Of course I had to make it. I couldn't disappoint her.

She sent me this picture as my inspiration.


I didn't have a pattern, but had some ideas that I thought would work.  I went to Joann's and got three different purple, sparkly fabrics and got to work.



It turned out just as I imagined and she loved it.  As soon as she opened it on Christmas morning she put it on and put on a show.


I used a couple of different tutorials to make the outfit.  For the skirt, I used the Simple Skirt from Made.  Mine has three layers.  The top two are the tulle and the bottom is a shiny purple fabric liner.  I skipped the waistband and attached the skirt to a tank top using this tutorial from A Small Snippet.

After making the dress, I then had to make the removable longer piece.  I cut two rectangles of the sequined and shiny fabric. I sewed them with the right sides together.  Then I turned it right side out and top stitched around the whole thing making sure to close the opening.  For the waistband, I followed the instructions from the Simple Skirt tutorial.  I attached some velcro to elastic and it was complete.
The Popstar is ready for her performance!

2 comments: