Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fourth of July Cake

For my niece's birthday I am making a Barbie cake.  I will cover the cake with fondant, but I have never worked with it before.  I decided to practice by making a cake for the Fourth of July.


Most things that I read about fondant said that the store bought stuff tastes pretty nasty.  I didn't want to make a cake that didn't taste good, so I found a recipe online to make my own using marshmallows.  It was pretty simple and tasted great!

Using fondant was like working with play-doh.  It was fun and not as scary as I thought it would be.  I know that it's not perfect, but for my first attempt I think it turned out pretty good.  It's something that I'll try again.  There are so many different ways that it can be used. 

For the cake I used the same recipe from Glorious Treats that I use for my vanilla cupcakes.  As I've said before, I will never use another vanilla cake recipe.  I also used a strawberry filling from her and her cream cheese frosting under the fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment