Saturday, September 15, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Last summer, when we visited my husband's grandma in Cape Cod we went to the annual Fourth of July pie sale.  It's a pretty big deal.  Everyone stands around the table with their hand on the pie they want and at 6:00 you can buy your pie.
My brother-in-law and I stood in line to get pies for everyone.  I chose apple and strawberry rhubarb.  My husband and his brothers made fun of me...they said that no one likes rhubarb.  Well, Grammy loves rhubarb.  The rhubarb pie was the first one gone (mostly because she and I were the only ones eating pie).

This summer she came to stay with us for a few days.  I wanted to make her a rhubarb pie, but didn't have time to deal with crust.  I found a great recipe for strawberry rhubarb crumble at Smitten Kitchen.
It was my first time making anything with rhubarb.  She was excited and again said that it was her favorite.  I served it with some ice cream and it was great. 

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble
From Smitten Kitchen

For the topping:
1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons Demerara sugar (or turbinado sugar aka Sugar in the Raw)
Zest of one lemon
1/4 pound (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 quart strawberries plus a few extras, hulled, quartered
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare topping: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugars and lemon zest and add the melted butter. Mix until small and large clumps form. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Prepare filling: Toss rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
3. Remove topping from refrigerator and cover fruit thickly and evenly with topping. Place pie plate on a foil lined baking sheet, and bake until crumble topping is golden brown in places and fruit is bubbling beneath, about 40 to 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment