Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My First Quilt: Downy Quilts for Kids

My aunt is a quilter.  A real quilter...she hand quilts. My whole life I remember her talking about quilts. Because of this, quilting seemed very daunting to me.
After I began sewing, I thought that I wanted to try quilting.  I was scared to try it.  Then I saw this blog post about Downy Quilts for Kids.  They send you a kit to make a quilt that then gets sent to kids that are hospitalized.  The kit comes with all of the fabric and instructions.  I decided this would be a great introduction to quilting and went to a great cause, so I ordered a kit.

When my kit arrived I was really excited.  The fabric would not have been my first pick of fabric, but I guess I can't be too picky.  It was the last week of school though, so I had to wait until I had some free time. 

When I finally sat down to work on it, the directions a little confusing.  I think they were written for someone that had quilting experience. Luckily Ashley at Make It and Love It had a great tutorial with a lot of pictures. 


I think that it turned out great.  I'm excited that my first quilt went to someone that could really use something homemade.  I'll definitely make another one.  Maybe I'll buy my own fabric so that it is even cuter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment