Saturday, February 11, 2012

Felt Fruit

For my niece, Emma's, birthday I wanted to make her something fun and unique.  She loves playing with her fake food, so I decided to make her some felt fruit.  I couldn't find a free tutorial that I really liked, so I ventured to my one of my favorite places...Etsy.  There is a fabulous shop called Bugga Bugs  that has PDF patterns for anything and everything that you can imagine.  Once I found that shop I couldn't decided what I wanted to make.  I thought the felt cake and brownies would be super cute for a birthday present.  When I asked my husband what he thought, he reminded me that fruit is healthier:)  The fruit pattern was amazing too.  The apple and orange slices go in and out of their peel.  Once I ordered it I couldn't wait to get started.



It was definitely a little more involved than I had thought it would be.  The sewing part was fine, but there were A LOT of pieces to trace and cut out.  When the machine sewing was done, then I had to stuff and hand stitch each piece closed.  The last step was to hand stitch the details.  Although it took some time, it was worth it.  I added a little shopping bag to go with it, so everything could stay together.




 My guess is that she liked it because when she was playing with it after the party she took one of the apple slices and tried to eat it.  That could be a good or a bad thing.


The pattern included so many small details, but that is what makes each piece so realistic.  I hope she continues to enjoy her fruit.

2 comments: