Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

It's a new year and time for resolutions.  One of my resolutions this year is to make a treat a week.  I always find new dessert recipes that I want to try, but never find the time.  This year I am going to make the time.

I started the year with my first treat, Champagne Cupcakes.


Champagne Cupcakes
From Some Kitchen Stories
… made 36 mini cupcakes…

Cupcake Ingredients
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup champagne (I used Mumm which is what we had to toast at midnight)
6 egg whites

Champagne Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons champagne, at room temperature

Directions
Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Prepare a cupcake pan with liners. 
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
In another large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites.  Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Frosting:
With an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter. Mix on low until well blended, and then on medium for another two minutes.  Add vanilla and champagne, beating on medium for another minute.


They were delicious!  Kevin and I had a few to ring in the new year and then we had some more when my family came over for dinner the next day.

Another resolution that I have is to get back in a running routine... I have to make sure I don't double my size with all of the yummy treats I'll be making:)

No comments:

Post a Comment